SK Hynix will extend its activities to the “image sensors” market; will compete with Sony and Samsung



NNA |
Update:
October 13, 2021 9:15 p.m. STI

Seoul [South Korea]Oct 13 (ANI/Global Economic): SK Hynix, a leading company in the memory semiconductor market, will expand its business into the non-memory semiconductor market such as image sensors.
The image sensor, which acts as the “eye” in various computing devices such as smartphone cameras, is currently the market with fierce competition between Sony and Samsung Electronics. SK Hynix is ​​a latecomer to the market, but it aims to strengthen its R&D capabilities for image sensors and secure productivity early to lead the market for 32MP or more high-pixel image sensors.
In an interview with CIS Commercial VP of SK Hynix, Song Chang-rok, conducted by Newsroom, he said, “CIS (image sensor) will be one of the important factors for SK Hynix’s growth with DRAM and NAND flash memory,” and that, “Our next goal is to achieve a leading position in the CIS industry.”
“CMOS Image Sensor (Comprehensive Metal Oxide Semiconductor Image Sensor*CIS)” is a semiconductor that converts the color and brightness of light received through the camera lens into electrical signals and transmits them to processors. CIS-related markets are growing rapidly.
According to data released in June by market research firm Gartner, the size of the CIS market is expected to grow by 7.3% pa ​​(CAGR) from $19.9 billion in 2021 to $26.3 billion. dollars in 2025. Compared to the overall semiconductor market which is expected to grow by 4.0% and the memory semiconductor market is expected to grow by 4.1%, market growth expectations are high.

However, only a few companies dominate this market with advanced technology. The current leading companies in the CIS market are Sony and Samsung Electronics, and their combined market share is over 80%. And other companies, including SK Hynix, OmniVision and GalaxyCore, are vying for the remaining 20%.
VP Song said that SK Hynix had difficulty in increasing market share due to late entry, but the situation will change in the future.
“Previously, customers were doubtful about SK Hynix’s suitability for CIS business, but SK Hynix is ​​currently a major supplier of low-pixel image sensors below 13MP,” said VP Song. “We are strengthening our R&D capabilities and securing productivity to expand into the 32MP high-pixel image sensor market.”
He also said, “In order to achieve the leading position, we need to release the product line at the same time as the big companies” and that, “We will secure the high-resolution product line as soon as possible using strategies to develop major products at the same time.”
He also said that the CIS market will soon experience a shake-up and that SK Hynix will prepare for it thoroughly. (ANI/Global Economy)

Michael C. Garrison